YOU ARE WELCOME HERE!
Come be a part of our San Francisco Bay Area Jewish community.
At BIJ we pride ourselves on our welcome and warmth. All are welcome at our services and events. We know how important it is to find a spiritual home, a place where Jewish community is valued and real. Our home is open to Jews and their non-Jewish family and friends. The congregation is a member of the Union for Reform Judaism.
A BIJ, you can find new friends, nurture your faith, and serve the Jewish people in the Bay Area and in the world around us.
Join us for our Shabbat dinners and musical services, for concerts , social events and cheering with our crowd at a baseball game!
Learning is part of our DNA. We offer classes and programs for adults and children, including Hebrew instruction, preparation for Bar & Bat Mitzvah, Torah study, and holiday preparation. Our Rabbi Danny Gottlieb brings a wealth of deep Torah knowledge and insights based on his rabbinical training at Leo Baeck College in London, England, and as a member of the Institute of Jewish Spirituality’s 4th Rabbinic cohort. His experience and training makes our Torah study, Parashah commentary, and Shabbat derashot insightful as well as approachable.
THIS MONTH AT BETH ISRAEL JUDEA!
- Thursday, December 13, 6:30pm: Adult Hebrew Class with Ricki Weintraub
- Friday, December 14, 7:30pm: Sacred Chant & Drum This joyful, contemplative service combines movement, meditation and communal chanting, accompanied by spiritual drummers Debbie Fier and Susanna Goldenstein. Rabbi and Ricki complete the leadership team and invite you to sit back, relax and “let go” of the cares of the week that has passed. The service is followed by a pot luck oneg Shabbat.
- Saturday, December 15, 8:45am: Torah Study Join Rabbi Gottlieb for bagels and coffee, as we study the Torah portion of the week.
- Saturday, December 15, 10:00am: Shabbat Morning Service Join us for a warm and intimate service, filled with music and learning, led by Rabbi Gottlieb and BIJ members.
- Monday, December 17, 7:00pm: BIJ Book Club Meets “off-site” at a member’s home. Contact the office for details.
- Wednesday, December 19, 6:30pm: Adult B’nai Mitzvah Class Learn to chant Torah with Ricki Weintraub and study a Torah portion for your Bar or Bat Mitzvah with Rabbi Gottlieb.
- Friday, December 21, 7:30pm: Shabbat in the ‘Hood Join us as we take our Shabbat service “on the road”. Members host the chavurah-style services in their homes, led by Rabbi Gottlieb and Ricki Weintraub. Contact the Temple office for this week’s location.
- Saturday, December 22, 8:45am: Torah Study Join Rabbi Gottlieb for bagels and coffee, as we study the Torah portion of the week.
- Saturday, December 22, 10:00am: Shabbat Morning Service Join us for a warm and intimate service, filled with music and learning, led by Rabbi Gottlieb and BIJ members.
- Sunday, December 23, 9:00am: Food Bank Volunteering Children 4 and up are welcome with adults. This is a great time for the whole family to participate while the kids are on break from school. (RSVP is not necessary but you can contact Lori Ganz (415) 606-8727 or email@example.com so we can look for you in the crowd.)
- Friday, December 28, 6:30pm: Friday Night Feast A free, catered Shabbat feast, sponsored by Sisterhood—The Women of BIJ! Welcome Shabbat with tableside blessings, then enjoy delicious fare and each others’ company. After “birkat hamazon”, the grace after meals, we will all test our knowledge and recall in a Jewish Trivia Night.
- Saturday, December 29, 8:45am: Torah Study Join Rabbi Gottlieb for bagels and coffee, as we study the Torah portion of the week.
- Saturday, December 29, 10:00am: Shabbat Morning Service Join us for a warm and intimate service, filled with music and learning, led by Rabbi Gottlieb and BIJ members.
Coming in January! Art from the Holy Land!
Thursday, January 17th – Sunday, January 20th, 2019
Mark your calendars for a special week of exciting activities!
Thursday, January 17, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
Happy Hour Kick Off – Patron Preview Party
Friday, January 18, Noon – 2:00 pm
Sisterhood Lunch and Learn Free catered light luncheon (space limited)
Saturday, January 19, 6:30 – 10:00 pm
Shabbat Shira Concert featuring Cantor Arik Luck with Wine and Cheese reception
Sunday, January 20, 3:00 – 5:00pm
NCJW Present Israeli – Bay Area partnership in Fight Human Trafficking
Featured Speaker – Israeli Deputy Consul General Ravit Baer Register: https://fashlncjwhumantrafficking.brownpapertickets.com
Erev Shabbat Service Schedule
1st Friday – 6:30 pm: Shabbat Shelanu jointly with B’nai Emunah (check the calendar for location)
2nd Friday – 7:30 pm: Sacred Hebrew Chant & Drum, an “alternative” style musical service
3rd Friday – 7:30 pm: Neighborhood Shabbat, hosted by congregants in their homes (call the Temple office for location)
4th Friday – 6:30 pm: Friday Night Feast, free catered dinner and program with special guest speaker
5th Friday – Special Service or Program (check website calendar for details)
Shabbat Morning Service Schedule
Torah Study Breakfast – 8:45am
Shabbat Morning Service – 10:00am (2nd Saturday of each calendar month, the service is led by Or Shalom clergy)
Beth Israel Judea’s office is open Tuesday – Thursday, 10am – 5pm, and Friday from 10am – 3pm. We are closed for most Jewish holidays.
Contact us at 1.415.586.8833 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t miss a service or an event! Transportation assistance is available. Please contact the office to make arrangements.